Sunday, May 4, 2008

Iron Man 2008

I watched Iron Man 2008 yesterday.
I am a IM fan from the comic books. The movie was a blast. Great to see an old favorite as a film with the speical effects that make things look real.
Robert Downey Jr WAS Tony Stark.

My only critism is this. The old "bad heart" thing that was inherited from the old comic does not make sense these days. Tony Stark is a muliibilionaire technical genius. Back when the comic was first written, heart transplants and open heart surgury was experimental. Today it happens everyday. Now, I can accept a temporary fix to keep the shrapnel out of his heart. But for the ongoing movies, lets get him to the best heart surgeon in the world and take care of it. If his heart is too far gone for repair, Stark can invent a mechanical heart to replace it.
Does Tony Stark really need a tragic flaw to make the story compelling?
I think the arc of him changing from an arrogant spoiled rich kid to a guy who realizes he really does not have everything has plenty of personal stuff for the writers to work with.

I did like the movie. I will watch it again, and I will buy the DVD when it comes out.

By the way, if you have not seen the movie, look for Stan Lee's cameo.
It is quick and it was only afterwards that I thought back and realized
that it was him.

Also, to anyone who left before the credits were over, you missed a big suprise.

NEVER, leave a Marvel movie before the credits have ended.

No comments: